Teacher of the Year 2011 prize to D. Sc. Mamdouh El Haj Assad
Aalto University Student Union AYY awarded the Teacher of the Year 2011 prize to D. Sc. Mamdouh El Haj Assad, who works for the Aalto University Department of Energy Technology.
Teacher of the Year prize was awarded on the basis of students’ proposals on AYY’s 2nd anniversary on 4 Feb 2012. The selection criteria included, for example, the content of teaching, taking account of students and the student’s guidance both in and outside of teaching.
Teacher of the Year winner receives Teacher of the Year general bravery medal in AYY’s colours. In addition, the teacher’s picture will be added on the University’s Teacher of the Year photo wall.
- Teacher of the year prize was a surprise to me, says Mamdouh El Haj Assad. Such a prize gives motivation to any teacher to perform his teaching methods in a more efficient way.
In his teaching career Assad has considered the following points:
- Motivation: I motivate the students by teacher behavior, teaching style, structure of the course, nature of the assignments and interactions with students.
- Using blackboard will help the students to follow the lecture thoroughly.
- Help students to find the importance of the course material.
- Creating atmosphere that is open and positive.
- Make students feel that they are valued members of the learning community.
- Ensure opportunities for students’ success by giving assignments that are neither too easy nor too difficult.
- Asking questions during the lecture will help students participate in the lecture.
The main idea of teaching is to give all the information needed out of the course to the students without hiding any small part of such information and make sure that every student understands such information.
- In such a way, students feel happy and successful because such information will stick in their mind and memory, knows Assad. At the end of the course students learn basic skills to execute tasks related to the course, learn to think critically.
- The most important factor in teaching is that the teacher should be helpful and kind to students, Assad reminds.
Teacher of the Year prize
The cornerstones of a good university include good teaching, which is based on the continuous development of teaching both by the university and individual teachers. AYY wants to support the development of teaching and give recognition to teachers who have distinguished themselves in teaching and its development.